Monday, December 17, 2007

The Case for ONNN

ON Semiconductor (ONNN) came into my sights when I visited my brother in Scottsdale, AZ in November. In Phoenix they have a pretty nice looking facility I later discovered was HQ and when I saw their name on the building I made a mental note to check the stock upon my return home. So what do these guys do?
The answer: Power solutions and semiconductor devices. This you may already know. But let's look at some their customers. This was the big eye-opener for me. How about names like Apple, HP, Bosch, Delphi, Cisco, Dell, Honeywell, Intel, Motorola, Nokia, and Samsung just to name a few. They have a global logistics network in place to meet these demands. So how are they doing?
Lets look at Net Income.

PERIOD ENDING
31-Dec-0631-Dec-0531-Dec-04

Net Income272,100 100,600 (123,700)

Pretty nice trend here. So why is the stock getting beat down of late?
Quarter 3 for ONNN didn't meet analyst estimates as there was a decline over last year same period and for the second quarter in a row. Add to this the overall sentiment of the markets lately and ONNN has certainly taken its lumps. So why am I enticed even though there is a chance that ONNN may not meet last years income numbers?
ONNN has just announced that they have agreed to purchase Amis Holdings. Amis supplies integrated circuits for the Auto and Medical fields. While the premium paid for Amis is a bit high, and the work to be done on Amis's low margins need some work, I like that ONNN is expanding their horizons and finding new revenue streams. With the lowest PE among their competitors I like ONNN to return to $11/share very soon.. I will be buying on every dip.

No comments: